| Home |
Previous | Next
How to Install
IIS on Windows XP Pro
If you are running Windows XP Professional on your computer you can
easily install Microsoft's web server, Internet Information Server 5.1
(IIS) for free from the Windows XP Pro installation CD.
- Place the Windows XP Pro CD into your CD-Rom Drive.
- The "Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP" screen will pop up. Just close or Exit from it.
- Open 'Add/Remove Windows Components' (Start
-> Control Panel ->Add/Remove
Programs -> in left panel)
- Select 'Internet Information
Services (IIS)' in the Components window. Press 'Next' to start the
- You may be required to have Service Pack 2 installed.
- Once IIS is installed on your machine you can type in 'http://localhost' into
the address bar of your web browser and you should see the IIS
Welcome screen. If it doesn't come up, reboot your PC.
can also replace 'localhost' with the
name of your computer. If you are not sure of the name of your
computer right-click 'My
Computer' on your desktop, select Properties -> Computer
- Your default web directory to place your web site in is 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot'.
Previous | Next | Top